Many sandwich placements can offer you the opportunity to develop your skills and gain vital experience. But not many can also offer you the opportunity to help make history.
Join us at the STFC (Science & Technology Facilities Council) on a year long placement and you’ll work on, support or tell the world about exciting research projects that nobody else has worked on before.
Where you fit in
The variety of our research is truly incredible. No other UK organisation can offer you such a diverse range of work. So in just 12 months you’ll broaden your experience in more ways than you could possibly imagine. We carry out pioneering research every day, and every day will present you with a new challenge as you play your part at the forefront of scientific discovery.
Here you won’t just observe - you’ll help to make things happen as an integral part of the internationally renowned team at a world leading research council. Friendly, pioneering and very team orientated, we’ll trust you, value you and empower you to contribute ideas, make a difference and enhance your studies, career and CV.
What you’ll need
We’re looking to place students with a passion for science who are studying towards a degree in a relevant subject.
What are you waiting for?
We make it possible for a broad range of scientists to carry out the highest quality research and tackle some of the universe’s most fundamental scientific questions. We’re behind new ideas, technologies and discoveries that impact upon all of our lives.
We have opportunities in the following locations:
- Rutherford Appleton Laboratory, Didcot
- UKATC, Edinburgh
- Daresbury Laboratory, Warrington
For our 2018 Sandwich Student intake, we have opportunities in the following areas. Please click on the job title for more information and to apply. You have the option to apply for up to 3 roles. The relevant Degree courses are outlined below.
From April 2018, STFC will be part of UK Research and Innovation. UK Research and Innovation will bring together the seven Research Councils, Innovate UK and a new organisation, Research England. The aim is to create a system that maximises the contribution of each of the component parts and creates the best environment for research and innovation to flourish. The vision for the new organisation is to be the best research and innovation agency in the world. More information can be found online here.
Before you apply
Please read the How to Apply guidance on the vacancy. You must upload a completed application form and a covering letter to support your application. Please save all your documents with the IRC reference number in the filename and your name.
STFC Sandwich Student Application Form
Daresbury Laboratory, Warrington
Rutherford Appleton Laboratory, Didcot
- Finance Sandwich Student – Capital Management (IRC242552) - Accountancy, Business, Economics (or similar) Degree
- Finance Sandwich Student - RAL (IRC242553) - Accountancy, Business, Economics (or similar) Degree
- ISIS Public Engagement student (IRC242466) - Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Mathematics, Engineering
- Communications Assistant (IRC242514) - Physics/Chemistry/Biology/Science Communication/Public Relations/Marketing
- Science Communication student (IRC242509)- Physics, chemistry, biology, media studies
- Applied Scientist/Engineer (IRC242489) - Physics/Engineering
- Laser Laboratory Technician (IRC242557) - Physics, Chemical Physics, Engineering
- Microtarget Fabrication Physicist/Engineer (IRC242561) - Engineering or Physics
- Novel Calorimeter Research Scientist/Engineer (IRC242554) - Materials Science/Chemical Engineering/Physics/Chemistry
- Researcher of laser driven ion acceleration for medical applications (IRC242556) - Physics, Applied Physics, Engineering Physics or Natural Sciences
- Vulcan Laser Sandwich Student (IRC242506)- Physics, or Natural Sciences/Engineering/Computer Science with a significant Physics component
- Gemini Laser Target Areas Student Placement (IRC242547)- Physics, Applied Physics, Engineering Physics or Natural Sciences
- Vulcan Laser Target Areas Student Placement (IRC242513)- Physics, Applied Physics, Engineering Physics or Natural Sciences
- Biological Imaging Specialist (IRC242549) - Physics/Biology/Engineering/Natural Science/Biophysics/Biochemistry/Physiology
- Online learning developer (IRC242465) - Physics/Chemistry/(related subject)
- Materials Characterisation Method Developer (IRC242508) - Physics, Chemistry, Materials Science
- Hydrogen and Catalysis Method Developer (IRC242498)- Chemistry, Natural Science, Material Science, Physics
- Vulcan sandwich student (IRC242505) - Physics
- CALTA Student - Laser Scientist (IRC242555) - Physics or natural sciences if the physics content is high
- Muon and neutron detector development (IRC242559) - Physics
- Ultrafast Spectroscopy Sandwich Student (IRC242560) - Physics,Chemical Physics,Chemistry, Biochemistry
- Scintillation detector development for neutrons (IRC242562) - Physics
- Polarized Neutron Scattering Sandwich Student (IRC242551) - Chemistry/Materials Science/Physics
- Data streaming software developer (IRC242548)- Software or Physics
- Neutronics Sandwich Student (IRC242524) - Physics/Maths/Computer Science
- Scientific Software Engineer (IRC242492) - Scientific computing/Software Engineering/Science degree such as Physics or Mathematics
- Space Instrument Calibration Scientist (IRC242491) - Physics/Software
- Software Developer (IRC242512)- Computer Science or Engineering, or another relevant scientific discipline with a strong mathematical component
- Controls Developer (IRC242497) - Computer science, software engineering or any other IT related discipline
- IT Support Assistant (IRC242525) - Computing/Computer Science/Business Computing/IT
- Software Developer – ISIS Computing Control (IRC242502) - Software, Computing, Computer Systems
- Software Engineer & Web Developer (IRC242495)- Software
- Software Developer - ISIS Data Systems (IRC242501)- Computing/Software
- ISIS Operations (IRC242522) - Computing which could be included within an Engineering discipline
- Materials and Chemistry Technician (IRC242507) - Materials, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering
- Biology Lab Method Developer (IRC242494) - Microbiology/Biochemistry/Molecular Biology
- Chemical Deuteration Methodology Development (IRC242499) - Chemistry, Medicinal Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Biochemistry
- Sandwich student placement in ultrafast laser science (IRC242678) - Physics/Chemistry/Natural Sciences